Looking for the perfect tripod, under $100?
If you’re a photographer, you need a tripod. It is an absolute essential in your gear lineup!
While taking a good picture or video is absolutely an art, creating the perfect photograph or video demands the best accessories. Cameras and lenses are the obvious requirements. However, you should never ignore the importance of having a tripod as well. It is the tripod that helps a photographer become an actual professional.
In your quest to find the perfect tripod under $100, do not compromise on quality and extent of durability in your equipment. It’s perfectly understandable that most people work on a limited budget and can’t afford to spend a large lump sum on a tripod. Hence, we’ve compiled a list of the best tripods that won’t break the bank.
Firstly, let’s take a look at each category of tripods available. Generally speaking, tripods can be categorized into three types:
- Lightweight Tripods
- Compact Tripods
- Heavy Duty Tripods
One of the biggest dilemmas for a photographer who also has a passion for hiking or traveling; finding the right tripod which is sturdy enough to support a heavy camera, and lightweight enough to haul around. On-the-go traveling photographers need equipment that fits their lifestyle. That means lightweight and reliable gear that’s also easy to carry.
These travel-worthy tripods are specifically designed to be lighter than their full-sized counterparts, and can easily fit into any bag or backpack. Whether you’re a photojournalist, avid hiker and wildlife enthusiast, boater, wildlife shooter, or simply a photographer who often works on foot, you will benefit enormously from a high quality tripod.
Here is a list of amazing tripods that are available on the market today (all of which are almost as light as a feather and won’t burn a hole in your wallet):
- Due to this tripods unique legs design, keeping it on an uneven surface or restricted spaces is easy
- The presence of retractable spikes allow for more support
- A total of four fully adjustable legs
- Quick and easy height adjustments
- An extremely smooth head allows smooth rotation and includes a dual bubble leveler – with the capacity of handling up to 8 pounds
- Designed with leg position allowing the ability to keep this tripod on any surface, whether uneven or restricted
- The capability to glide in and out with complete ease
- Comes with a 360-degree panoramic dial
- Extremely easy to transport around
- Delivers the easiest ball head
- Well suited for any skill level (amature to professional)
- Total weight: 0.9 kg
- Being as this tripod is extremely lightweight, it is suitable for photographers who require the use of a larger scope. It is suited specifically for pairing with a high wide angle lens – best for capturing landscapes. Making this a perfect tripod for traveling or backpacking purposes.
- Renders a photo – movie selector, to quickly and efficiently change modes
- This tripod does not require a screwdriver for attachment
- Specifically shaped to support a camera and prevent issues with the camera’s orientation
- Includes a special adapter for cameras with higher resolution
- The Manfrotto Compact Action Tripod supplies simplicity and luxury all at the same time. Eliminating all hassles, making your photography experience with this tripod worth every penny!
- Delivers a horizontal panoramic head – supporting 360 degree rotation
- Complete and total control of ball head with the utmost precision
- Allows the photographer to adjust every rotation angle differently
- One of the tripod legs can be used to monopod
- Includes a removable, quick-release plate
- The Koolehaoda K-666 is not only extremely lightweight, but also very portable. Includes a ¼” screw which is suitable for every DSLR camera. Both durable and can be used as a monopod and alpenstock.
If it wasn’t already obvious, compact tripods are tripods which are simply smaller than the standard-sized tripods. This suggests that these kinds of tripods can easily slide inside your camera bag or backpack without taking up much space. Compact tripods are also ideal for the travelling photographer.
Below, we’ve listed some of the top-rated and widely popular compact tripods available on the market today:
- Provides a maximum height of 60 inches
- High-performance ball head that is also removable
- Features a removable center column for low angle shots
- Ability for panoramic angles: 90 degrees (vertical) and 360 degrees (horizontal)
- Total weight: 1.85 kg
- Included with the purchase of this tripod: Fitted nylon padded tool kit and carrying case. The Dolica AX600B250 60-inch Aluminum Alloy Proline Traveler Edition tripod is particularly suitable for travelers and landscape photographers who need to hike a good distance in order to get that perfect shot.
- This tripod has a maximum load capacity of 2 kg (4.5 pounds)
- Offers a maximum height of 64 inches
- Total upper leg diameter of 20mm
- All three legs on this tripod are padded for added support
- Offers quick-release leglocks for fast packing and adjusting
- This tripod features a new ball head SBH-100DQ, making it the ideal choice for every kind of photographer. The legs are divided into four sections for extra compactness, and has a collapsed height of only 18 inches, making it perfect for travel photographers.
- Features a built-in ball head which allows for quick release
- The center column of this tripod is removable
- Includes a built-in compass and spirit level
- Each foot of the tripod are made out of rubber, and contain retractable spikes for optimum secure footing on any surface. Its aluminum body is both strong and durable.
- Due to the grounder feature, extreme low-level shooting is possible
- Rated one of the most portable tripods in its class.
- Provides a maximum height of 72 inches
- Includes 2 built in bubble levelers – One at the head and one in the tripod
- Particularly sturdy legs and body, as well as rubber feet to keep your camera safe
- Total 3-way fluid pan head – suitable for DSLR cameras with video mode, thereby providing extremely smooth movements for perfect panoramas.
- Due to its built-in grounder, you have the ability to take photographs from a low angle. This tripod is perfect for photographers who demand high stability and quality performance.
Heavy Duty Tripods
Although compact and lightweight tripods are convenient (especially for the traveling photographer), full-sized heavy duty tripods are the best accessory a photographer can have. They may not be suitable for any form of travel, but heavy duty tripods do not compromise on image quality. Both stability and durability are usually higher with these kinds of tripods and they provide a special type of head. Generally, heavy duty tripods are designed to handle medium to full scoped cameras.
Below, we’ve listed some of the top heavy duty tripods under $100:
- Specially designed leg position allows the ability to keep this tripod on any surface, both even and uneven
- Features a unique pistol grip ball head
- The legs on this tripod provide adjustable and retractable spikes – allowing for more support. The legs are also capable of quick release.
- The feet are made of rubber for extra grip
- Perfect for any photographer, from amature to professional
- Total weight: 3.6 kgs
- The ability to extend up to 80 inches, along with a carrying handle
- Provides 2 bubble levelers
- Includes a stabilizing hook
- Four aluminum legs with rubber feet for support
- This tripod is extremely simple to set up and use, making it ideal for any photographer
- Provides high-performance and high durability tripod legs with rubber feet for added stability
- Offers a total load capacity of 13 pounds
- Includes plates which offer safety check
- Provides a total maximum height of 45 inches
- Includes a 25-inch mounting screw, fully capable of sliding
- Comes with a heavy-duty mount head
- Aluminum legs are expendable and durable
- Features flexible slow motion cables that are suitable for both azimuth as well as altitude.